Winners & sponsors of Angels TT Academy Ninth Anniversary Junior Tournament
at GC Foster College. July 13, 2019
Jamaica is a country in which sport is taken extremely seriously. At primary school age, everyone wants to be a champion boy or a champion girl, but I am talking about running. Growing up in Jamaica I wasn't aware of table tennis. I left St Catherine High School for a school in England at 13 years of age. The only table tennis I ever saw was played by the late Councillor Owen Palmer and his friends on a makeshift table on top of a metal drum.
Moving forward to the present time 2021 I am a level 2 table tennis coach and currently studying level 3. I run a successful table tennis club and constantly involved with and trying to improve the sport.
The Covid-19 pandemic has caused a great deal of damage to our sport, but it has opened my eyes to what is happening in Jamaica. I set out to find a table tennis club there that has a program that is based on youth development and I was very fortunate to link up with Angels Table Tennis Academy which is located in Spanish Town.
The Academy is a well-managed club that is constituted and registered with the Jamaican Companies Office. It is a training academy that also offers Maths, Spanish and Chess to all their youngsters. Going forward the academy will also be offering music classes specializing in drums, keyboard and saxophone. Wifi access will be provided for homework centre and internet cafe. The Head Coach behind all of this is Richard Davidson. He is a person that I speak with frequently about the progress of his club. We share ideas on coaching formulas on how to develop youngsters into successful players. Our ideas about running a successful club are very much the similar.
2018 Caribbean Regional Pre Cadet Championship in Dominican Republic. Silver medalist
One of the main ideas coming out of our talks is finding a way of linking Luton TTC and Angels TT Academy together. We are looking at ways of holding training camps here in the UK and in Jamaica where both sets of players can train and compete against each other.
Please take a look at the achievements of Richard Davidson.
- ITTF Level 2 Certified Coach
- ITTF Administration Course
- Currently working at Angels Table Tennis Academy since August 2010
- Worked at GC Foster College 2010 - 2014.
- Won Men Intercollegiate Championship 2011 GC Foster College
- Worked at St.Jago High 2011-2021
- 2012 Coached St. Jago won under 16 Urban ISSA boys title and runner up in all island finals
- 2013 Coached St. Jago won under 16 Urban ISSA boys title and runner up in all island finals
- 2014 Coached St. Jago won under 19 Urban ISSA boys title and runner up in all island finals
- 2014 Coached Dadrian Lewis to win the Jamaica National Championship at age 13.
- 2014 Coached the youngest in any sport to represent Jamaica at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland
- 2015 Coached Jamaica National Championship women Open winner & runner up in under 18 & 21
- 2016 Won gold in girls doubles at the Caribbean pre/mini cadet championship.
- 2016 Silver in girls singles in pre/mini Caribbean cadet championship. Under 11 girls Kelsey Davidson.
- 2016 Bronze in the girls singles in pre/mini Caribbean Cadet Championship. Under 11 girls Liana Campbell.
- 2016 Coached Jamaica first ITTF HOPES training Camp invitee Kelsey Davidson to Lima Peru
- 2016 Coached St. Jago High Urban ISSA under 19 champion and all island runners up
- 2016 Coached Angels Primary won Milo primary school girls champion
- 2017 Coached Angels Primary won Milo primary school girls and boys teams championship
- 2017 Coached St. Jago Preparatory won Milo Preparatory girls team champion and champions of champions
- 2017 Won 5 out of 7 singles titles and 3 out of 4 single titles in Milo preparatory and primary school championship respectively.
- 2017 Won 3 out of the 4 team events in the Milo Prep & Primary School Team Championships
- 2017 Gold medalist in singles in pre/mini cadet Caribbean championship under 11 girls. Liana Campbell
- 2017 Coached Jamaica 2nd ITTF HOPES training Camp invitee Liana Campbell in Asusuna Paraguay
- 2018 Guide Jamaica 3rd consecutive ITTF HOPES training Camp. Nevaeh Scott to Santa Domingo Dominican Republic
- 2018 Coached St. Jago under 16 girls ISSA Urban and all island winner
- 2018 Coached Kyle Davidson and Larissa McLaughlin to represent Jamaica at Caribbean
- Senior Championship in Cuba and Intercampus games in Barbados.
- 2019 Caribbean cadet championship under 15 girls silver medalist
- 2019 Cadet team qualify for World Cadet Challenge Championship in Medellin Columbia. Kelsey Davidson the only Jamaican player to win a match in the championship.
ITTF HOPES training camp 2016 Lima Peru.Jamaica first HOPES player and coach invitee Kelsey Davidson and Richard Davidson
Mr & Mrs Matthias Landfried from Germany visited Angels Table Tennis Academy in 2018
ITTF donations to Angels TT Academy with the visiting newly elected JTTA president Andrew Lue. 8th Feb 2021